Friday, December 19, 2008

Santa or Jesus. Who will you Celebrate?

As a child, I grew up with normal holiday traditions like most people
I know. We celebrated Easter with the Easter Bunny and Easter Baskets.
Halloween with trick or treat. Christmas with Santa. Now all except
for Halloween, there were always a little Jesus so-called, "sprinkled in."

We went to Church on Easter Sunday, after church it was the Easter egg
hunt. During the Christmas season we celebrated with Santa on
Christmas morning. Opening presents. Maybe before having our picture
taken with him and telling him all that I wanted a Red Rider B.B.
gun..."Just kidding."

One thing that I remember more about these holidays is not what I got
or how we celebrated but the way we did not celebrate. The Christ. It
was as if he was left out. Not the main attraction. When if fact he
was the headliner.

After I got saved, I made it a point to give him the glory on the
holidays. I figured that all that he has done for me. I can give him
what id due. That I would not share him with anyone.

Now for my wife and her family this did not go over to well. They are
a great family. Very close and love to celebrate Christmas like the
Griswold's. All the glitter and Santa and all of his elves too.

As a father I have spoken with my wife about building our own
traditions. Doing things a little different. I don't teach my kids
that there is a Santa or and Easter Bunny. I choose to only buy them
one gift each. Yea, go ahead and say ,"CHEAP" I've head it many times.

I am not a scrooge or Elmer Fudd with a fancy to see a Wabbit with
some Wauce.
I don't know why we teach our kids about these figures and tell them
that they are true. For me, I believe this is lying. If I tell my kids
that Santa is real. Then when they grow up and find out that he is
not. Will they look at me and say, "My dad lied to me." Did he lie to
me about Jesus too?


Celebrating Christmas with all the cheer and fat guy in a big red suit
seems harmless. But so does telling a few lies every now end them. Or
taking that glance at the opposite sex in a un-Godly manner. Or even
say ,"Oh-My G-d" Many see nothing wrong with doing any of these. But
Gods says and is very clear that lying is wrong, and that all liars
will have their part in the lake of fire. Jesus said also that " just
looking" with lust was committing adultery. That saying, "Oh-my G-d"
is blasphemy. God says that he will not hold anyone blameless that
uses his name in vain.

Just because it seems harmless and no wrong in it, does not mean it is
right.

This Christmas who will headline your celebration? Will you kids be
saying ,"Look what Santa brought me?" Something that is sure to fade
or "Look what God sent me?" Something that is sure to save.
www.EvangelizeYourCity.com

No comments: